Friday, December 30, 2011

People Not To Be Like: Anakin Skywalker


Anyone familiar with Star Wars knows the story of Anakin Skywalker. Talented jedi in training, he marries Padme and then turns to the dark side becoming Darth Vader.
For obvious reasons, you don't want to be Darth Vader. But what about Annie? Why don't you want to be like him?
Allow me to illustrate.

My mother, sister, and I have an inside joke that I actually helped create. It goes something along the lines of this:
Me: But I want a giiiiirlfriend!
Mom: You can't have a giiiirlfriend!
Me: then I want a seeeeeeeeeeecret girlfriend!
Mom: you can't have a seeeecret girlfriend!
Me: then I'll have a wife!
Mom: You can't have a wife!
Me: then I'll have a seeeeeeeeecret wife!

If you notice- that's whining. Why? Because Anakin whines. Actually, Annie whines a lot. It's easy to see where Luke gets it, if you listen to Anakin.
And, unlike Luke, Anakin never stops whining.

He also seems pretty abusive, if you think about it. I went to a lecture for Girl Scouts once, for A Safe Place, which is a home for abused women who need someplace safe to go when recovering (or escaping) an abusive relationship. During this lecture, she talked about the different types of abuse in relationships. You know what?
Anakin fits in two of them.

So, he might be the main character in Star Wars. He might even be really epic in parts. He might end up being the most epic bad guy ever. He might have the most quoteable lines in the entire series of movies.
But:
Do not be like Anakin.

Because he is whiny and annoying and abusive. And just in general not a good guy.

(I'm not a fan, can you tell...?)

No comments: