Thursday, September 15, 2011

G-L-A-S-S-E-S

I suspect that most glasses-less people go to the eye doctor dreading getting glasses.
Most probably want to keep their glasses-less face.

I am not most people.

For as long as I can remember, every time I went to the eye doctor, I wanted glasses. I was always disappointed when I was told that I didn't need them.

Today...
Was different.

I arrived, sat down, and noticed to both my horror and joy that I couldn't read the last line of letters.
Nope.
I could read the other four, but not the last one. I couldn't see it right. It was blurry and too small. I thought I could make out an "O" but I wasn't sure whether it really WAS an "O" or whether it was a "Q".

At the end of the appointment, the doctor said that I have a stigma in both eyes.

For those of you who don't know, that means that the lenses in my eyes are all wonky and I'm seeing things that are a slightly different shape. (So while the circle might look like this: O  I'm seeing it more like this: 0.)
This doesn't matter for most things, but for reading, it definitely does.
(And sightseeing, according to the doctor.)

So, guess who is getting glasses!

My brother!
And me. :)
:D


Ken has a problem kinda like double vision, where his eyes are both projecting a slightly different picture, and his brain has to work 3 times as hard to put the images together. Like my stigmas, it's not a big deal for larger objects (i.e. a car), but for reading it's very important.

So, next week, both Kenneth and I will have our glasses.

Ken will wear his glasses:
While reading
While playing piano
While playing video games

I will wear my glasses:
Whenever I'm doing homework
Whenever I start driving
Whenever I'm playing piano
Whenever I have to see something far away (that matters).

8 comments:

Amber Kirk-Ford said...

I used to wear glasses because I had an astigmatism in one of my eyes which means I couldn't see writing that was far away and also it meant I blinked loads more than the average person. I wore them all day everyday but I started forgetting to wear them >_< What colour glasses are you getting? =D xx

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

They're going to be green/blue. I get them next week, so I'll be putting up pictures in a month or so... After I get my braces off. >:D

lucy lu said...

can't wait to see the photos! XD

Jinx Grand said...

i've always wanted to get glasses to...can't wait for images

Rose said...

i have had glasses since i was so young i cant even remember it. i dont liek them much, but i need them so thts tht! :) another great post!

Jenna said...

Congrats for getting glasses!! Join the club!!!! I love my glasses!! I feel so smart wearing them :D What are yours gonna look like?

Sharon said...

Maybe with your glasses, you'll be able to find the dough at Jewel.

Or the milk in the fridge.

Or that the dishwasher is just sitting there, empty, waiting just for YOU.

Or that the dog, who is sitting right there, panting to go out.

I can't wait.

luv, yer mom.