Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Heroes!

Alright! First of all, I want to give a short little shout out to the Air Conditioning repair technicians. YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! (I have AC now. It's awesome.)

And so. Moving on...

One of the questions that people ask me a lot is "what's your favorite book?".
I then often get laughed at for my answers, or just get a blank, zombie-like expression.
Harrumph.

So, here, I will introduce not only my favorite books (including photocopies of my copies of the books [ did that make sense?]) but also why the main characters happen to be my heroes.
So, without much ado...

The Ordinary Princess
by M.M. Kaye

Synopsis from book: All across the kingdom, excitement was running high: a seventh princess, always the luckiest and most beautiful of all, had just been born to good King Hulderbrand and Her Majesty Queen Rodehesia. When the christening day arrived, Her Serene and Royal Highness the Princess Amethyst Alexandra Augusta Araminta Adelaide Aurelia Anne was showered with the most extravagant, marvelous presents imaginable- until her last, most powerful fairy godmother proclaimed, "You shall be Ordinary!"

And as the years passed, it was so. Princess Amy's hair became a mousy brown, her nose turned up, and- worst of all!- freckles began to dot her nose and cheeks. In fact, she looked so ordinary that no prince could be found to marry her. Amy realized that she didn't want to get married anyway, and ran away from hom, embarking on an adventure that opens up a most extraordinary life for the Ordinary Princess.

Why I love this book:
Everyone is so nice in this books. No one is evil. No one is the 'villain'. There's no one to hate, because everyone is doing exactly what they think is right. Even if it's not in line with what someone else thinks. But even though there's no villain, it's still completely fascinating. It's just a really fun book to read, and the illustrations make the pages pretty. :)

Her Serene and Royal Highness the Princess Amethyst Alexandra Augusta Araminta Adelaide Aurelia Anne:
I love the character of Amy. She's not overly anything. She really is truly ordinary, and in being so is exactly the sort of person that I would love to be friends with. She's resourceful, things don't always go according to her plans, she loves to have fun, and she doesn't hate her parents. All in all, she's one of the most normal, most interesting, most loveable characters ever. She also helped me accept the fact that my hair wasn't blond. (When I was younger, every one of my siblings had blond hair. Except me. >.<)




Pippi Longstocking
by Astrid Lindgren

Blurb about book on back of cover: " 'And absurd and rollicking story of Pippi who lives without any grownups in a little house at the edge of the village. Not that she lives alone- Mr. Nilsson, the monkey, and Horse live there too; and Tommy and Annika from next door spend as much time with her as possible. And who wouldn't, for with Pippi around you just never can tell what may happen next. The matter-of-fact way in which her absurd adventures are related is one of the chief charms of this story, full of the kind of hilarity that appeals to children.' -Horn Book"

Why I love this book:
As you can tell, by looking at the cover of my book, I've basically read this book to pieces. Mostly because it makes me laugh. Every time. Or at least smile. Partly because it was one of my favorite books when I was younger*. Maybe a bit because I always secretly wanted to be- or at least know- Pippi. And really, it's just a refreshing book. I read all these serious books, but then there's this one. Where you know everything is going to turn out alright, because, really, just like the Ordinary Princess... everyone is nice! They might be 'against' Pippi, but really, no one is against Pippi. no one.

Pippi Longstocking:

Pippi is hilarious. She's also a homeschooler, a crafter, and just crazy. If she wants to walk home backwards, well, by jove, she will! If she wants to own a horse, and pick him up whenever, then she will... and does! She's remarkably strong ("She was so very strong that in the whole wide world there was not a single police officer as strong as she.") but she uses her powers for good. She fights bullies, is a thing-finder, hides in a tree... She's just all around an awesome character. She's another one of those characters where I would love to have her as my neighbor, just like Tommy and Annika. (Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet. *sigh*)

   So, there you go. My all time favorite two books. They're both feel-good books. I read them both whenever I feel nervous. (I read one before a test I had to take.) They're nice books. They're short. They're funny.
I love them. :)


*Actually, my favorite books haven't changed that much. Let's see.. The Ordinary Princess... Pippi Longstocking... The Tail of Emily Windsnap... Harry Potter... The Hobbit... 
Yeah. They're the same. xD

1 comment:

M. Fish said...

Epic.
I read Pippi Longstocking in my fourth grade year, back hen i was in what is called a charter school. They taught things differently there. I desperately miss it so...
anyway, off toppic. I remember it though! It's easily in my top ten favorites for books.
Now that i think of it, at least three of my top ten favorite books came out of my fourth grade year....(Books read included: -the original-Pinoccio, Black Beauty, The Little Prince-#2-, Pippi-#9-, and such others)