Monday, March 21, 2011

Girl Scout Week post #1: Traditions, traditions, traditions.

It was my sixth birthday, and a tragedy had happened.
My birthday party wouldn't be on my birthday.
I woke up on March 28th, feeling heartbroken. How could I possibly wait three more days for a party? How could I survive for so long without celebrating?
I wandered out of bed, feeling the unfairness of the world. The tragedy. The unfairness of my mom. Life would never hold joy anymore.
That is, I felt the unfairness of the world until I walked into the kitchen and saw my chair.
Oh, my chair! I had never seen it in such regal decorations! I had never seen it celebrated in such glory! Hanging from it were streamers, in such colors I didn't remember ever seeing. Balloons were stuck to the chair, seemingly with magic. Oh, chair, oh chair! How beautiful it was! I was speechless. My faith in humanity was restored! The birthday party left my mind. It was just my chair. My beautiful chair.

...
Okay. Maybe it wasn't that dramatic. But that's how I remembered it. The amazing streamers. I had never seen streamers stuck anywhere but on my bike, and that was only during parades.

It is now exactly one week until my 14th birthday. A lot has changed since I was six... For example, I can now reach the scissors. But some things haven't changed.
For example:
The chair.
We still celebrate the chair. The morning of the birthday person's birthday, the rest of the family wakes up at the crack of dawn, and decorates the chair with streamers and balloons. Then they go back to sleep, waking up only to see the birthday person's face when they see their chair.

For the IP, "Heritage Hunt", one of the requirements is for me to help with a tradition. Now, there aren't many traditions in my family that I can help out with... most of them are near Christmas, and since my bridging is in May... that's sort of out of the question.

So, last month, in February, I woke up at the crack of dawn, got my sister Veela out of bed, and we decorated my sister Christina's chair for her 9th birthday. That was my participation in a tradition.

One requirement done. :)

No comments: