Friday, August 26, 2011

Introverted

It's not really a surprise to anyone I know that I'm much more introverted than extroverted.
I hate to go to parties.
I don't like being around medium sized groups of people.
I'm much happier being by myself in a crowd, because it still means I'm by myself.
(To clear this up, though... I don't like to be lonely. I like to be alone. There is a difference.)
I like to sit in my room.
By myself.
I talk much better over written word, partly because I don't have awkward gaps in my speech.
(For example, that previous sentence would sound, in real life, "I talk much better over written word... Partly because... I don't have... awkward gaps in my... my speech.")
I often blurt out what I'm thinking in my head, but only if it's a random fact (fact: they've created a way to identify zebras by their stripes, using the technology of barcode scanners), not if it's what I'm thinking (thinking: This shirt is uncomfortable. And.. wait. What the [beep] is on that woman's shirt?! ...Okay. That was the most awkward thing I've seen all day... Hmmmm... Gah! I'm being attacked by a rabid child! AAAAAHHHH!!! Save me! ...holy [beep]! Can't you [beep]ing people stop texting me for one [beep]ing second?! Gaaaaack! ...Wait. What the... Huh... PANTS!)
Oh. And I detest small talk. Hate it.
That's why I rarely start conversations (unless I've just arrived) by saying "Hello!". No. More like, "I'm trying to write a wanted poster for a future world where 'normal' people aren't allowed, and the 'regular' people are, and they're genetically engineered. So, artificial life. How would you recommend I word this?"

Anyway, enough discussing what I am like... Or more like, proving why I'm not an extrovert.
I'm not, by the way. (An extrovert? Valerie. An introvert? Me.)

One of the things about being an introvert, is that because being an extrovert is apparently the desirable personality type, is that it's very difficult to be introverted around people.

For example, let's throw two people at you.
Both of these people are 15 year old girls, look average, and everything. Okay?
We'll call the extroverted girl "Michelle" and the introverted girl "Alexandra".
Let's start our experiment.

Michelle is the sort of person who is going to bounce up to you and say "Hello!" and then proceed to bother you until you finally acknowlege her existence. She enjoys going to parties. She's good at talking to people. She can banter until forever, but doesn't burden you with any of her problems.

Alexandra is the type who will nod at you, maybe say hi, introduce herself, and then not say much else. I mean, she might sit next to you, she might make some sort of comments on whatever is going on, she might be EXCELLENT at making speeches...
But she's definitely not the type who is going to go out to parties every night. She doesn't say much. She might not smile much. She might ignore you. She might just nod. She's definitely going to try to get away from you as much as possible.

Which of these sound like a nicer sort of person? Who would you rather meet?

Michelle is most likely going to have a huge acceptance everywhere. People are probably going to like her. She's going to have friends. She's going to have fun. She's the type who is going to show up at camp and have at least three friends by the end of day one. (Trust me. I live with an extrovert. I've seen their methods at work.)

Alexandra is much more likely going to be considered "depressed" "antisocial" "emo" "too good" and so on. In fact, every single one of those adjectives have been used on me at least once or twice... Normally when I'm around a group of people, such as at camp, or at a party.
At camp, in fact, one girl seemed to be obsessed with me, and would walk around calling me "seriously depressed". She even wrote the words on her palm, and would flash them at me whenever I ignored her.
Which was quite often.

So, it's harder to be an introvert than an extrovert. We aren't often understood, except by other introverts. It's not always a good place to be, although it does have it's benefits.
For example... We're better people watchers. Why? Because we're perfectly content with sitting, and not having to talk, we can just sit silently and watch people walk by.
Secondly. If we were sims, our "social" need would go down very slowly. I mean, I have to text someone, or email them, or talk to my sister face to face, at least once or twice a day... But often it's just enough for me to be around someone. I don't necessarily need to have a so called 'conversation'... Especially when it's a conversation about me.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this subject... But I'm not going to. I have a feeling that this is quite long enough.
So I'm going to leave you with two links..
Here is one, about Caring For Your Introvert,
and here is the second one, 10 Myths About Introverts.
And in case you're curious, I completely agree with what he says, against the myths, in that second link. Yeah. That's us to a T.

1 comment:

Rose said...

love ur blog, love your style, love you (even tho i do not know you and hav never had any social contact with you EVER). buuut... i diagree in a couple ways. 1) i think you underestimate how difficult it can be for an "extrovert" to bound up to people and start nattering. its difficult for them, i think, and it is also very difficult to... 2)be an "introvert" and want to change. i am, myself, a bit of a "middler" (i like to call myself a psychotic ninja nerd from the core of the earth) i prefer being outgoing, but i like being withdrawn too. kind of a stupid world, huh? :D xxx