Made me sick.
The "suicide bunny calendar" is basically a calendar... with pictures of bunnies committing suicide in "creative" ways. Suicide bunny is also a comic strip (why?!) and here is one of the pictures. I, thankfully, claim no right to this picture:
Actually, if you Google "Suicide bunny", you'll find whole lists of comics of bunnies committing suicide.
Now, a lot of people inexplicably seem to find these pictures funny. And, I'll admit, some of them are completely outrageous, and slightly amusing if you don't consider the fact that it's suicide.
But it is suicide.
Despite the fact that these ways of killing yourself are outrageous, stupid, unlikely to work, and otherwise defective, I still find them incredibly offensive and distasteful. Because I'm a list maker, I'll make a list of all the reasons these comics, and people talking about them as if they're hilarious, make me feel sick and angry. (Yeah, I'm a little ticked off. Sorry.)
- Suicide is not a laughing matter. It's real, it's horrible, and it should never be taken in jest. Suicide is funny, until you realize that there are people who have serious issues who really do take their own lives because they feel it's the only way out of whatever situation they find themselves in. These people need help, and undermining the seriousness of suicide does nothing to help them at all.
- You don't know peoples' histories with suicide. When you start laughing about this calendar where bunnies- poor, innocent bunnies!- are killing themselves, you aren't thinking about how that's going to affect anyone. My friend's friend attempted suicide not that long ago. Another friend's dad committed suicide. I've known someone who tried it herself. It makes me angry when people make fun of something like that... And I'm not even the suicide atemptee!
- There are plenty of hilarious things out in this world. Badly drawn comics of idiotic looking bunnies attempting impossible methods of killing themselves is not one of them.
- You're talking about death here. It's like laughing at a picture drawn of World War two. People die. They leave behind people who miss them. If you think that's funny, I think you have an issue.
- Anyone who starts joking about this is obviously not a very good friend if you ever do feel suicidal- or if you're worried about someone who is suicidal. By making it a laughing matter (See reason 1), you're setting yourself up to be someone that no one will trust with something that serious.
- Really? You have to use something so unoriginal to be funny?
- Most of these reasons are ridiculous, and would never work. I don't think anyone has died by having a man squish a chair leg into their brains by sitting on said chair... Why do we have to think up new ways of killing ourselves?
- They aren't even funny cartoons.
I don't mean to insult anyone who finds these comics funny...
I just mean to say that if you find these comics funny, I think you're a messed up, inconsiderate person. :)
Suicide isn't funny, shouldn't be considered funny, and should never be taken in jest. :)
Or at least... That's my opinion. Anyone have a different side? The comment box is somewhere around here (button, button, who has the button?!) and I adore comments! ^_^
Yeah, yeah. I know I owe you guys a "real" post soon. Sorry!